Saturday, July 4, 2009

Sounds of Independence


Today is the Fourth of July, and that means cookouts, among other, less important things, and no Fourth of July cookout would be complete without a boombox blasting some classic American jams. Later today when I'm grilling up some burgers and veggie kabobs, I plan on rocking this awesome mix of dusty old soul 45s City Center's Fred Thomas picked up on their recent tour.

[mp3] City Center Summer Mix #2: 45s I Found on Tour
(check out the tracklist on the City Center blog)

I'd like to think he got the idea from the all-45 podcast I did a few months back, but I'm guessing any credit for inspiration belongs to Mr. Fine Wine, who hosts WFMU's essential Friday night soul program, Downtown Soulville, whose archives I will definitely be dipping into today as well. If you don't already subscribe to the Downtown Soulville podcast, you definitely should. It's the perfect music for every occasion, even funerals! (Well, maybe not every funeral.)

Check out Downtown Soulville's 14 years of archives right here, then subscribe to the show's podcast so you never miss an episode again!

No comments:

Post a Comment